Oh did my kids love these cottage pies! This is one o f those recipes that I put together at the very last minute. I have an eye infection, and really did not want to make anything. But the alternative was to take 6 people , in freezing weather, to a restaurant. So I decided to put something together. I had a pound of hot italian sausage, red peppers , potatoes and onions so I decided to make an italians sausage base and a pot of mashed potatoes tp go on top, It had a very italian twist to it, especially with the creamy potatoes topped with seasoned breadcrumbs and shaved parmesan cheese. I mixed it up a little and put them into individual ramekins. I will definitely make these again. Especially since the boys all said they loved it and went for seconds.
Italian Sausage Cottage Pie
8-10 yukon gold potatoes, diced
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup butter
1 lb hot Italian sausage
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 small onion, diced
2 red bell peppers, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1/2 c parmesan cheese, shaved
- Preheat oven 375°F.
- Cook the potatoes in salted water until they are cooked. Drain them. Mash them with the butter and season them with salt and pepper. Put aside.
- Take the sausages out of their casing and set on a plate.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the peppers and the onions and cook for about 3 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add salt,pepper and oregano.
- Put back the frying pan on the stove and cook the sausage meat until cooked. Drain the fat out of the pan. Add the pepper-onion mixture into the meat.
- Put the meat evenly in 6 ramekins , or a 8x8 dish. Add the mashed potatoes on top of the meat and top with the breadcrumbs and shaved parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes for the ramekins, and 35-40 for the baking dish. The potatoes will be slightly browned and the cheese melted and bubbly.