I love shrimp. Especially grilled shrimp. This recipe is a winner, in my opinion because it is so easy . And the flavor is outstanding. I usually serve the skewers on a bed of steamed brown rice and a side of grilled asparagus. Easy summer meal. And even with the spiciness of the shrimp, my kids inhale them. But then again, they inhale shrimp of any kind. Seriously. I have to stop them from eating shrimp. They will eat until their bellies hurt. Wish they did that with their veggies!
Mexican Garlic-Cilantro Grilled Shrimp
SERVES 8 -10 , 35 -40 shrimp
* 2 1/2 lbs large shrimp
* 1/2 cup olive oil
* 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
* 1/2 cup fresh parsley
* 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
* 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
* 1 tablespoon paprika
* 2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* wooden skewers (pre soaked in water)
1. Shell and devein shrimp. Set aside.(If frozen, thaw under cold running water)
3. Throw all the ingredients, except for the shrimp, into a blender and process until a fine puree.
4. In a large glass bowl, mix together shrimp and marinade. Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
5. Drain shrimp and reserve marinade. Thread shrimp on skewers.
6. Grill skewers medium high heat just until they turn pink, turning frequently and brushing with reserved marinade.Be careful not to over cook the shrimp. They cook fast. 12-15 minutes.