This is the number one requested soup recipe at my house. It is a spin off of chicken noodle soup and it is outstanding. You can find frozen pierogi in the freezer section of your grocery store. Plan on oohs and aahs from your dinner crew.The pierogi cook down while they simmer and the soup has a thickness to it that is perfect comfort on cool autumn nights. I serve these with cheddar garlic rolls . A definite staple in the cooler months. Especially after an afternoon outside in the chilly air.* note - I double the recipe for my crew of 5. Everyone always wants seconds.
1 (15 ounce) boxes frozen pierogies, potato and cheese filling
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 cup finely chopped cabbage, packed
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut each pierogie lengthwise, then 3 times crosswise, so each will be cut into 8 pieces.( partially thaw them for a few minutes and they will be easier to cut)
- In a soup pot, melt the butter. Add the chopped onion and cabbage; sauté for 5-7 minutes or until onions are translucent. Do not brown.
- Add the pierogies and chicken broth.
- Add the garlic powder, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and gently simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the milk and cheese. Cook and stir over low heat until heated through and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.